Perfect for a summer party! These healthy, gluten free, easy breezy, cool summer rolls are packed with delicious fusion flavors.
And did I mention the delectable peanutty dipping sauce? I could seriously lick that bowl clean!
Just like my group of friends from various cultural backgrounds, these cool summer rolls represent a happy mingling of flavors from different cultures.
The poached chicken is tossed in a minty green chutney. I used a store bought green, cilantro mint chutney, to make it even easier. Just make sure the chutney is of a thick consistency so it coats the chicken well.
I used sweet ripe mango, baby spinach leaves, scallions, shredded carrots, cilantro and rice vermicelli also for the filling.
Prepare the rice vermicelli as per package directions. All I needed to do was soak mine in hot water for a minute or so and drain it. For the rice paper wrappers, soak them just a few seconds in warm water, remove and use them. I found out that the key is to be able to still see the design on the rice paper- it is that short of a time!
Place the filling on the lower 1/3, fold over the bottom corner over the filling, then fold in the 2 sides and roll as shown in the picture below.
Easy, breezy, isn’t it? I made these for the first time and was experimenting different designs and flavors as I went along .They are not as pretty but I enjoyed making them….and of course, eating them!
Chicken Mango Summer Rolls
- 2 tablespoons store bought, green coriander mint chutney (of a thick consistency)
- 1 cup poached/ cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup rice vermicelli, cooked/prepared according to package directions and drained
- ½ mango, peeled and cut in 1 inch strips
- 1 scallion, cut in 1 inch strips
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- Few cilantro leaves
- 8 (8 inch) rice paper wrappers
- Bowl of warm water ( to dip wrappers in)
For the peanutty dipping sauce-
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
Store bought sweet chili sauce
To make the Chicken Mango Summer Rolls-
- In a bowl, add the mint cilantro chutney to the shredded chicken. Toss well to coat the chicken. Set aside.
- Have the other filling ingredients- vermicelli, mango, scallion, spinach leaves, carrots and cilantro leaves close and ready to go (as shown in picture).
- Taking one rice paper wrapper at a time, dip both sides in the warm water only for a few seconds and remove to a flat surface. You should still be able to see the design on the rice paper (as shown in picture).
- Add the filling ingredients about 1/3 way up from the bottom half of the wrapper, fold bottom edge of wrapper over it. Then fold the sides in and roll (as shown in picture).
- Repeat with other wrappers and filling.
- Refrigerate the Chicken Mango Summer Rolls.
- Meanwhile, make the peanutty dipping sauce. To the peanut butter, add the hot water and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine.
- Serve the refrigerated Chicken Mango Summer Rolls with the peanutty dipping sauce a sweet chili sauce of your choice.
Enjoy the cool summer evenings!