Quick and easy, figure friendly, crunchy crispy fish tacos – Indo Mexican style!
With Cinco de Mayo round the corner, I am thinking of another reason to enjoy the Mexican food we love so much. My homemade Mexican food is catered to the Indian palate and some recipes that I have created are more of the Indo Mexican fusion recipes. My family and friends have loved them a lot over the years so I do make them pretty often.
The fish tacos is one of the dishes in my repertoire of Indo Mexican fusion recipes. I have shared some other recipes like the Broiled Stuffed Indo Mexican Jalapenos, Chicken Vindaloo Tacos and the Touchdown chili.
For fish tacos, generally in restaurants the fish is deep fried. I grill the fish to make it even more figure friendly without losing any taste. The crushed corn chips makes the fish crispy on the outside and and soft and flavorful inside. I toss the fish and the marinade in a zip lock bag.
While it is marinating, I make the quick and easy cabbage slaw and the avocado chutney dressing.
Serve in a grilled, warm tortilla with the condiments and a slice of lime, it makes for a quick, easy and scrumptious dinner!
Ready to party?
Indo Mexican Fish Tacos
- ½ pound fish fillet- I used haddock
For the marinade-
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and grated
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder ( or to taste)
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
For the cabbage slaw-
- ½ cup green cabbage, sliced thin
- ½ cup red cabbage, sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed powder
- ½ teaspoon Mexican Tajin powder
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 ½ teaspoons oil for the grill pan
- 1 cup corn tortilla chips, crushed fine
- Avocado Chutney sauce
- Corn tortillas
- lime wedges and cilantro leaves to serve
To make the Indo Mexican Fish Tacos-
- Wash the fish fillet in cold water and pat it dry. Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a bowl or plastic bag. Add the fish fillet, cover/ close and set aside for a minimum of 30 minutes or up to 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, slice the cabbages thin and combine it with all the ingredients for the slaw. Toss and set aside.
- Prepare the avocado chutney sauce. You will need about ½ of the recipe given here.
- Heat the oil on a grill pan over medium heat. Remove the fish from the marinade, dredge it in the crushed corn chips, and put it on the grill pan. Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of your fillet. Fish is done when it flakes easily. Remove from pan and separate in chunks lightly, with a fork.
- Grill or warm the tortillas, add the crispy fish, cabbage slaw and drizzle the avocado chutney sauce over it. Top with the cilantro leaves and serve with a wedge of lime.
- Enjoy warm, scrumptious, crispy yet figure friendly fish tacos!
Enjoy! Happy Cinco de Mayo!