One pan,healthy recipe for Mumbai’s super popular street food! Check out the step by step photos and recipe.
Paav Bhaji is a street food that has prevailed as a crowd pleaser for decades in Mumbai. It is made with mixed vegetables and a delectable spice mix readily available as Paav Bhaji masala.
The aroma of the mixed vegetable bhaji never fails to beckon me but I stop short seeing loads of butter used in the bhaji and also slathered on the paav or bread.
My recipe for the easier and healthier version of Paav Bhaji is full flavored with just a tablespoon of butter in the entire pot. I mean Instant pot. The convenience is just marvelous! Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker. I sautéed and cooked all together in one pot and the bhaji cooks in 14 minutes.
Check out the step by step photos-
I was so thrilled with the assistance of the Instant Pot that I got carried away and made the paav rolls at home too. But store bought bread rolls work well with the bhaji. I grill or toast them. My Paav Bhaji Platter served bruschetta style has been popular at pot lucks and parties. The bhaji can be made in advance and reheated so Paav Bhaji is definitely an easy dish for the hostess and oh so yummy!
Disclaimer:We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. When you click and buy through this site , it helps us earn to keep this site running.
Mumbai Paav Bhaji in Instant Pot
For the bhaji-
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small red onion, diced fine
- ½ medium green pepper, diced fine
- ½ tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ tablespoon grated garlic
- 4 teaspoons Paav Bhaji Masala. I used Everest brand.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar
- 6 medium sized Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 12 pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cauliflower florets
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
Bread rolls, grilled or toasted with a dab of butter
Finely diced onion and cilantro
To make the Paav Bhaji in Instant Pot-
- Follow directions of Instant Pot for sauté mode. When the panel says ‘hot’, add the oil, finely diced onion and green pepper. Sauté for a minute or two or until the onion and pepper start caramelizing around the edges. Add the ginger, garlic and sauté for a minute to remove the raw smell. Add the paav bhaji masala and the paprika and sauté for just a few seconds to awaken their flavors. Add the tomato paste and stir well. Add the brown sugar and stir for another minute.
- Add the chopped potato, cauliflower florets, frozen peas, salt and the 2 cups of water. Stir.
- Shut off the sauté mode on the Instant Pot. Close the lid and set it on ‘beans’ mode. When pressure releases, open, mash all veggies together with the tablespoon of butter.
- Sprinkle with the chopped onion and cilantro and serve with grilled rolls and a wedge of lime.
Enjoy! Have a great weekend!