Don’t you wish you could just pick up these figure-friendly, protein rich, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free oven roasted, crunchy, masala chickpeas that are finger licking good?
Do certain foods, flavors or aromas evoke childhood memories for you? Deep fried peas was the coveted snack for me when I was little.
Our school snack shop sold deep fried masala white peas which were colored red artificially. The snack shop was one of the most unhygienic places in the school yard. So my parents never allowed us to buy any snacks there. My mom packed us all the healthy snacks instead and my dad got red chana for me from a well reputed store, but it just did not have that school snack shop appeal 🙂 Now as a parent, I can totally relate to their thinking and in fact have done the same with my own kids.
I wanted to recreate the taste of that red chana but without the artificial color or the deep frying or the uncleanliness….ha..ha!
I am happy with my recipe. Follow the special tip and you will have roasted chickpeas that are so crunchy and savory that you won’t be able to stop snacking on them. Isn’t it fabulous then, that these Roasted Masala Chickpeas are in fact a healthy, protein rich, non- fried snack?
Here is the easy 6 ingredient recipe-
Roasted Masala Chickpeas
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas/chole. I used Goya canned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon chat masala. I used MTR chat masala
- Sea salt to taste
To make the Roasted Masala Chickpeas-
- Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas. Spread them out on a kitchen towel to air dry them.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the olive oil in a 12 inch pan over medium heat. Add the chickpeas in a single layer. After a minute, toss them so the other side gets coated with the hot oil as well.
- Transfer the chickpeas with the oil, to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the chili powder, paprika, chat masala and the sea salt.
- After 10 minutes, stir the chickpeas or gently shake the pan so they turn themselves. Bake for another 10 minutes or until crunchy.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and into a bowl. Sprinkle the spice and salt mixture and toss.
- These can be served as is or topped with finely chopped onion and cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Yum!
Special tip- Make sure to toss the chickpeas in the hot oil before roasting. It gives the Roasted Masala Chickpeas a nice crunch. They can be made in advance and stored in an air tight container for up to 2 days.
Have a great weekend!