Light and creamy, delectable bread pudding in the Instant Pot in just 12 minutes!
Bread pudding evokes childhood memories for many of us who grew up in India. My husband loves this pudding so I made it for his birthday this week. Both of us love the caramel part of this pudding and both of us love flan. So, I knew what texture and consistency I was aiming for, in this pudding.
There are countless recipes for this dessert. Many that I have had here have heavy cream or half and half in it and have a heavy vanilla sauce to go on top because the pudding is kind of dry!
I wanted to make a moist but light bread pudding. So, I experimented with 1% milk! My gourmet Aai’s (Mother’s) words from ages ago, rang in my ears as she had explained the recipe to her aunt, with detailed tips. So I followed her advice to get the perfect consistency and texture for the pudding.
I also wanted to try making it in the Instant Pot. After the pressure was released naturally, I opened the lid of the instant Pot gingerly, not knowing what I would find. But what a pleasant surprise it was to see the caramel bread pudding cooked perfectly!
This recipe is definitely a huge saver for me. So, I wanted to share it with all of you, my dear readers <3
Caramel Bread Pudding in Instant Pot
- 2 cups milk. I used 1 percent milk
- 2 medium eggs, beaten lightly
- 3/8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 slices of sandwich bread
For the caramel-
- ¼ cup sugar + ¼ cup water
To make the Caramel Bread Pudding in Instant Pot-
- Combine the milk, eggs sugar until the sugar dissolves. Add the vanilla essence.
- Cut or tear the sandwich bread into small cubes or pieces ,about ¼ inches each.
- Put them into the milk mixture and let them soak well.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel. In a skillet or pan, combine the sugar and water on medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Then lower the heat and let the sugar mixture bubble undisturbed, until it is amber in color.
- Remove from heat and pour into the molds. I used two tapered molds about 7 inches across on top and about 4 inches deep.
- Depending on the type of molds you are using, if you need to, butter the sides of the molds after the caramel cools. I did not use any butter to grease the sides of the molds.
- Pour the milk mixture into both pans. Cover with a loose-fitting lid.
- Add 2 cups of warm water in the Instant Pot. Stack the molds on top of each other, close the lid, turn the pressure valve on and set the Instant Pot to 12 minutes manually with low pressure.
- After natural pressure release, open the Instant Pot and remove the molds. Let them cool to room temperature with the lids on. If you like the pudding cold like we do, refrigerate it until ready to serve.
- To serve, run a knife along the edge of the mold and invert onto a serving platter.
Note- Timing in Instant Pot will depend on the size of your molds/pans.