Makes 1½ cup raita
I think of my figure conscious friend as I write this recipe. I admire her will power to stay away from fattening foods. So at a recent party, I watched her as she avoided the corn raita, thinking it was boondi raita . I told her that she could deduct the calories of the fried boondi. I wish I had captured the joy on her face as she devoured the figure friendly corn raita! I cannot even begin to count how many times I have made this popular raita. It is a staple side dish at our house when we entertain. Guests always ask for the recipe and cannot believe how easy it is to make.
The red and green peppers add the festive touch during the holiday season!
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil + ½ teaspoon ghee or butter
- 1 green chili, split length wise, leaving the stem end intact
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/8 of a red and a green pepper, diced
- 1 cup of cooked corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup plain yogurt. I use Stoneyfield or Dannon plain, non-fat yogurt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- sea salt to taste
To make the corn raita-
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil +the ghee or butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the chili and cumin seeds. Fry for a couple of seconds and add the onion and red and green peppers. Stir fry for 30 seconds or so, and add the corn. The onion and peppers should have a ‘bite ‘ to them. Stir until the corn is heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
Hope this Corn Raita adds to your festivities!