Serves 8 to 10
This sandwich, baked right in the skillet, is a breeze to make! I made it extra easy by using frozen chopped kale and boxed cornbread mix. The kale spiced with cumin, garlic caramelized onions and garam masala is delicious and also keeps the cornbread moist. So I skipped the 1/3 oil suggested on the cornbread box.
The flavors of curried kale play so well with the cornbread and the sharp cheddar topping! And for a person like me who loves the extra heat, the jalapenos add an extra kick to the dish.
And I felt good that I had found yet another way to use kale 🙂
For the curried kale-
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
- ¾ teaspoon garam masala. I used MDH brand
- 2 cups frozen chopped kale, defrosted
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter to grease the skillet
For the cornbread-
- 1 (11.5 ounce) box cornbread mix. I used Krusteaz brand southern cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese. I used Cabot brand Alpine cheese
- pickled Jalapeno slices (optional)
To make the Curried Kale Cornbread-
- Heat the 2 teaspoons oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, garlic and onion and stir fry them until the onion starts to caramelize.
- Reduce heat, add the turmeric powder, chili powder and garam masala.
- Give it a quick stir and add the kale, sea salt and sugar. Stir well to combine the flavors. Cover and let it cook for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of the butter and let it warm in the oven.
- Prepare the batter for the cornbread by following the instructions for the corn bread mix. I skipped the oil. Also, I added a tablespoon of sugar for this brand of cornbread mix.
- Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven, pour half of the cornbread batter in the skillet, add the curried kale mixture and pour the remaining batter on top.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese all over the top and add the pickled jalapeno slices, if using.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, depending on the oven. The cornbread will pull away from the skillet sides and be golden brown. Do not over bake.