Microwave Chivda with Oats and Papad !

Makes about 4 cups chivda

Microwave Chivda with Oats and Papad !
Microwave Chivda with Oats and Papad !
Microwave chivda with Oats and Papad
Microwave chivda with Oats and Papad

Are you taking a car trip this Memorial Day weekend? Do you pack snacks in the car that are “for the kids”? Then you are like me!

This 6 minute microwave chivda, which I call my microwave POP chivda, is one snack I will not leave home without 😉 It is crispy, savory and a much lighter and healthier version of readymade chivda available in the stores. Also chivda available in the stores is generally made of deep fried or roasted poha. I add the oats and papad in my recipe which add nutrition and varied textures to the chivda.

The POP stands for Poha, Oats and Papad. This yummy snack mix has iron rich poha, which is flattened rice, nutritious oats and papad made out of lentils. Peanuts and roasted chana dal also add to the protein content of this chivda.

And did I mention addictive? Well, there have been some car trips when I noticed that we have eaten most of the chivda…..and I look out the window to realize we have driven only a few milesJ Just today, when I took the pictures for this post it was not very sunny outside. Later when I saw that the sun had come out from behind the clouds, I rushed to take pictures….only to notice (embarrassingly) that the quantity of chivda in the jar had diminished considerably….so….. not so sunny pictures it is….but I have a happy tummy!

• 3 teaspoons oil
  • 1 green chili pepper cut into thin rings. I used a serrano pepper
  • 7 to 8 fresh curry leaves
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
  • ¾ cup raw peanuts with skin on
  • ¼ cup roasted chana dal (also called dalia/daria)
  • ¼ cup dried coconut chips
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats. I used Quaker quick cooking oats
  • 1 ½ cup thin poha
  • Sea salt to taste
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • ½ teaspoon amchur powder ,(dried mango powder)
  • 4 papads, about 8 inch in diameter, roasted, cooled and crushed into tiny pieces. I used Ganesh brand chana masala garlic papad. I break them in half and microwave 4 papad halves for one minute on high.
  • ¼ cup kurmura/ puffed rice or crispy rice (optional)

To make the microwave Chivda-

1. In a microwave safe bowl, add the oil and the green chili pepper. Microwave on high for 1 ½ minute.

Step 1
    Step 1
  2. Add the curry leaves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafetida, turmeric powder, sesame seeds and peanuts and microwave for an additional minute. Remove bowl, stir and microwave again for another minute.

Roasted spices and peanuts
    Roasted spices and peanuts
  3. Add the roasted chana dal and the coconut chips, stir and microwave for 30 seconds more. (Total time in microwave =4 minutes so far)
    Roasted chana dal and coconut chips toasted
    Roasted chana dal and coconut chips toasted

Step 4
    Step 4
  4. Add the oats, thin poha, sea salt, sugar and amchur powder, toss well and microwave for one minute. Stir and microwave for another minute. Total microwave time =6 minutes.

After Step 4
    After Step 4
  5. Remove the mix from the microwave, add the crushed papad and the puffed rice (if using).

Step 5. Chivda done!
    Step 5. Chivda done!
  6. Let the chivda cool before storing.

Tips-

• Papad has salt in it. So adjust the salt in the chivda accordingly.
  • Microwaves vary. These are timings in my 1000 watt microwave
  • Adding the crispy rice or kurmure adds another layer in the texture of the chivda.

Hope you relish the chivda as much as I do. Enjoy the car ride!

Thanks you Anjali! It is really yummy….I should know… I finished half of it as I took the photos:)

1. Have to give it a try 👍

1. Oh Sandhya this looks so yummy! What a great healthy snack. I will try this soon! Love it! 🙂

Thanks Indu!

Thanks Lina!

Love me some chevda – what a great idea to add bits of papad in the mix, I’ll bet that gave it a good kick! :). I had to laugh reading your last bit Sandhya, it IS pretty addictive. It’s great that you created your own version, I know that the store bought kind is laden with sodium.

Thank you Loretta! I finished half of the chivda as I was taking the photos:)
      yes I used spicy papads. They added more texture too

3. natasha says:

Microwave wow will surely try

4. I love chivda…especially the one that my mom makes. This is a nice twist to the traditional chivda. I should definitely give it a try.

Yes do try it and let me know how you like it!

1. Hey Sandhya..I have a doubt.. I am planning to make oats chivda..do you it this can be made with rolled oats? (i know this recipe calls for the quick cooking oats but just thought I’d ask you) do let me know if possible 🙂

Depends on which oats you have and how thick they are.The quick cooking oats are thin and cook really fast.

Depends on which oats you have. The thick steel cut oats may not cook in the same amount of time. I feel the thin oats blend in better with the poha and cook fast. Hope that helps!

It depends on which oats you have. the steel cut thicker ones may not cook as fast and blend in as the thin quick cooking ones do. Hope that helps!

5. I think I have the quaker old fashioned oats at home…but like you said I will get the quick cooking oats and stick to the recipe 😄thanks a lot for replying…you are the sweetest!!! 😘

Let me know how your chivda turned out. I am addicted to chivda:) With this recipe, I make it all the time.
        Hugs! Enjoy the chivda!

7. Yes would surely let you know!! Thanks for all your help 😊👍🏼

8. Btw I love chivda too!! Actually…I’m missing everything that mom makes back at home…karanji chivda ladoo etc 😌😍

I know….the typical faral items, right?

5. do you think* (sorry for the typo)

Sorry about posting the reply 3 times:) It was not showing up and I wanted to make sure I answered your question:)

6. I love chevda! I like the addition of papad.

Thanks Greg. I feel papad add an additional crunch and up the protein content of the chivda too.