Microwave Chivda with Oats and Papad !
Are you taking a car trip this Memorial Day weekend? Do you pack snacks in the car that are “for the kids”? Then you are like me!
This 6 minute microwave chivda, which I call my microwave POP chivda, is one snack I will not leave home without 😉 It is crispy, savory and a much lighter and healthier version of readymade chivda available in the stores. Also chivda available in the stores is generally made of deep fried or roasted poha. I add the oats and papad in my recipe which add nutrition and varied textures to the chivda.
The POP stands for Poha, Oats and Papad. This yummy snack mix has iron rich poha, which is flattened rice, nutritious oats and papad made out of lentils. Peanuts and roasted chana dal also add to the protein content of this chivda.
And did I mention addictive? Well, there have been some car trips when I noticed that we have eaten most of the chivda…..and I look out the window to realize we have driven only a few miles 🙂 Just today, when I took the pictures for this post it was not very sunny outside. Later when I saw that the sun had come out from behind the clouds, I rushed to take pictures….only to notice (embarrassingly) that the quantity of chivda in the jar had diminished considerably….so….. not so sunny pictures it is….but I have a happy tummy!
Microwave Chivda with Oats and Papad
Makes 4 cups
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 green chili pepper cut into thin rings. I used a serrano pepper
- 7 to 8 fresh curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- ¾ cup raw peanuts with skin on
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal (also called dalia/daria)
- ¼ cup dried coconut chips
- 1 cup quick cooking oats. I used Quaker quick cooking oats
- 1 ½ cup thin poha
- Sea salt to taste
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder ,(dried mango powder)
- 4 papads, about 8 inch in diameter, roasted, cooled and crushed into tiny pieces. I used Ganesh brand chana masala garlic papad. I break them in half and microwave 4 papad halves for one minute on high.
- ¼ cup kurmura/ puffed rice or crispy rice (optional)
To make the microwave Chivda-
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the oil and the green chili pepper. Microwave on high for 1 ½ minute.
- Add the curry leaves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafetida, turmeric powder, sesame seeds and peanuts and microwave for an additional minute. Remove bowl, stir and microwave again for another minute.
- Add the roasted chana dal and the coconut chips, stir and microwave for 30 seconds more. (Total time in microwave =4 minutes so far)
- Add the oats, thin poha, sea salt, sugar and amchur powder, toss well and microwave for one minute. Stir and microwave for another minute. Total microwave time =6 minutes.
- Remove the mix from the microwave, add the crushed papad and the puffed rice (if using).
- Let the chivda cool before storing.
- Papad has salt in it. So adjust the salt in the chivda accordingly.
- Microwaves vary. These are timings in my 1000 watt microwave
- Adding the crispy rice or kurmure adds another layer in the texture of the chivda.
Hope you relish the chivda as much as I do. Enjoy the car ride!