Masala Peanut Bhujia in 4 ½ minutes!

Serves 2 peanut bhujia lovers:)

Masala Peanut Bhujias in the microwave!
Masala Peanut Bhujias in the microwave!

I like the tradition of afternoon tea in India where tea is served with some snacks. I feel that the relaxed atmosphere of teatime with friends is good for the soul too. On a recent weekend afternoon, when I realized that we did not have any savory snacks to nosh on, I made these Masala Peanut Bhujias. With the magic of the microwave, this scrumptious snack was made in 4 ½ minutes. So by the time the bhujias cooled down and became crispy crunchy, tea was ready!

Can you believe that you can have this crunchy, savory snack ready at your fingertips, whenever the mood strikes? And did I mention it is not deep fried, like it’s original version? This favorite snack of mine always beckoned me from the Indian grocery store shelves. I had to avoid all eye contact with the bhujias, to avoid the temptation of buying them. I knew fully well that I would eat the whole bag in the car itself, even before I reached home. Yes, experience taught me this as that ‘strong will’ worked only on days that I went to the store on a full stomach. Does that happen to you or is it just me?

But now thanks to this recipe, I can have the bhujias anytime.Spices like the saunf and ajwain, not only give it a distinct taste, but help with digesting the peanuts and besan also. That is why I added them to the mix! My microwave took a total of 4 ½ minutes. Do try the timings with your microwave. Do not let the bhujias overbake or they will harden. The bhujias get crispy when they cool.

These make great appetizers for a party too. You can also make these in advance and store them after they are cooled.

• 1 teaspoon oil
  • ½ teaspoon saunf or anise seed
  • 1/8 teaspoon ajwain or carom seeds
  • Sea salt to taste
  • ½ cup shelled raw peanuts with skin
  • ¼ cup besan or chickpea flour. I used kala chana besan
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • ½ teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
  • ½ teaspoon roasted coriander seed powder
  • ½ teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
  • ½ teaspoon aamchur- raw mango powder
  • About 2 tablespoons water
  • Oil to brush the baking plate

To make the bhujias-

1. In a microwave safe bowl, add the oil, saunf, ajwain seasalt and peanuts. Mix to coat the peanuts.
    Step 1
    Step 1

Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for another 30 seconds.

2. Remove bowl from microwave. Add the besan, turmeric powder, red chili powder, the coriander seed, cumin seed and aamchur powders.Toss to coat the peanuts.

step 2
    step 2
  3. Gradually add the water so the batter coats the peanuts. I needed 2 tablespoons of water.
  4. On the greased, microwave safe plate, drop the batter coated peanuts.
    step 3
    step 3

Microwave on high for 3 minutes.

5. Let the Masala Peanut Bhujias cool.

Note: Individual microwave timings may vary. The timings given are for a 100W, 110V microwave drawer. Adjust the timing according to your microwave.

Enjoy this quick and easy protein snack!

Have a great weekend everyone!

1. Sipping my early morning filtering coffee and craving these peanuts at 5:30AM! Great recipe. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

I am laughing reading your comment. We certainly have a problem here….I am drooling at 10:30 p.m seeing your avail:)

2. Such wonderful seasoning. I’ll keep this in mind! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

Thank you so much Ronit!

3. You can’t get faster than that 🙂 They look flavorful, crunchy, and delicious Sandhya!

Thanks, Antonia!

4. skd says:

They look so crispy and crunchy. Just like how you get at the sweet stores.

Liked by 2 people

Yes and these are the ‘no gulit’ kind as they are not deep fried:)

Liked by 2 people

1. skd says:

Exactly! !Total winner 👍

Liked by 2 people

5. cakespy says:

These sound amazing!! I can’t wait to add them to my snack repertoire.

Thanks ! Do let me know how you like them!

6. I’ve never tasted this before or heard of it. I love tasting new things, this looks delicious. I’m busy going over the ingredients and have no idea where to get some lol. Guess online, cause my small farm country sure doesn’t have these lol. Pitiful huh Sandhya? Haha

I am so amazed at how many things are available online these days. I have an Indian grocery store in the next town where I get my ingredients. This is a savory ,crunchy and yummy snack! Do try it!

1. Thank you honey, gonna be looking for these ingredients, WOOHOO lol

7. Quick snacks are always winner:-) awesome

8. pamela says:

These look wonderful! I am new to Indian cooking but I love, love Indian food in restaurants. In the cookbooks I have, so many Indian treats are deep fried. Is it possible to bake them in the oven or in the microwave like you have done here??

Pamela, I try to bake many of the deep fried snacks and make all my recipes healthier . Do let me know if you have a favorite recipe and I can tell you if it tastes good baked

1. pamela says:

Well, like Medu Vada or any of the crispy fritters made with urad dal that are deep fried. I know I would love them as I love DOSA so much. But, I hesitate to do much of deep frying so I have not made those kinds of things. But I would make them and their different versions, if I could bake them or even sallow fry them. Some of those kinds of things are also made into main dishes with gravies, something I find very interesting.
        🙂

Pamela, I do bake the koftas that go into gravies. Medu vada does taste the best deep fried but a version of it in a appe pan can be made with a couple of drops of oil.

9. Wow, must have that today!

Do let me know how you like them Greg!

1. Made them today. They are great! Can’t stop eating them!

I am so glad that you enjoyed them Greg!

10. Made this today and it turned out great!

Thank you so much for letting me know . Really appreciate the feedback!

Wow, I can only imagine the wonderful flavors from the ingredients in this Sandhya. It all came together so beautifully, I could do with a cone right about now. 🙂

Thanks Loretta. I am happy that I can make them often, with tea, whenever the mood strikes.Wish we could get together for tea. I have a very nice neighbor and we get together for impromptu teas, which is
      so wonderful. How I wish we were neighbors too:)

so wonderful. How I wish we were neighbors too:)