Healthy, mouthwatering ,gluten free, figure friendly, easy Indian fusion recipe!
Resolution : To lose the extra pounds. Yes, my New Year’s resolution, once again! Hard as it is to lose weight, what complicates things for me further is that I like warm, spicy food in the winter time. So the salads I enjoy in the summer feel cold to me in January.
In my quest to find warm, spicy, mouthwatering food that I love to eat, I thought of Dabeli. But, as always, I wanted to come up with a healthier recipe without compromising the taste.
Traditionally, Dabeli is a ‘veggie burger like’ sandwich with fried potato patties and served with toppings like chutneys, onion, cilantro, pomegranate arils, sev and peanuts.
I decided to oven roast nutrient rich sweet potatoes, mix in a little dabeli masala and top them with meaty, protein rich, cooked lentils, cumin scented sweet yogurt sauce, spicy and sweet chutneys, onion, cilantro, roasted peanuts (I will certainly make the Masala Peanut Bhujia in 4 1/2 minutes next time) and pomegranate arils. I added a little sprinkling of sev…..hey no point in feeling deprived, right?
I was so glad that I roasted the entire bag of sweet potatoes that I got from Trader Joe’s because everyone wanted seconds!
The sweet potatoes roasted with a touch of olive oil, makes the skin crispy when baked. The dabeli masala compliments its sweetness. The warm lentils juxtapose perfectly with the yogurt sauce and chutneys. The little sprinkling of sev, onion and cilantro satisfies my chaat cravings. The peanuts and pomegranate add the crunch…..need I say more?
Do try this healthier option for Dabeli and let me know how you like it.
Dabeli Style Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon store bought Dabeli masala ( or to taste)
- 1 ½ cup cooked lentils (masoor)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
For the yogurt sauce-
- 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar or stevia
- 2 tablespoons water
- Homemade or store bought spicy green chutney and sweet and sour tamarind date chutney
- 1 small red onion diced fine
- handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fine sev (chick pea noodles)
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts ( Masala Peanut Bhujia in 4 ½ minutes! recommended)
- 2 tablespoons of pomegranate arils
To make the Dabeli Style Roasted Sweet Potatoes-
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Prick them a few times with a fork. Coat them lightly with the olive oil and bake them in a preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 35 minutes or until baked through and the skin is crisp. When cool enough to handle, cut a slit on top, press down a little to flatten them and mix in the Dabeli masala with the flesh using a fork. My Dabeli masala has salt added to it so I skip the salt.
- To the cooked lentils (masoor), add the chaat masala and toss to combine.
- Combine all ingredients for the yogurt sauce and whip them together to combine.
- To assemble the Dabeli style sweet potatoes- Place the sweet potato in a serving dish. Dividing the toppings into two, top each plate with the lentils, yogurt sauce, the chutneys, sev, diced onion and cilantro, the masala peanuts and pomegranate arils.
- Enjoy this mouthwatering and healthy dish!