Bhogichi Bhaji- for Sankranti festival

Sankranti Special! Gluten free, vegan, vegetarian Bhogichi bhaji is a moreish winter harvest festival in a pan!

Winter harvest vegetables in a hearty, vegan, gluten free, vegetarian stew/bhaji with peanuts and sesame seeds. Easy Indian heirloom festival recipe.
Bhogichi Bhaji- A savory celebration of the winter harvest for the Sankranti festival!

I am not a winter person at all and wish I could hibernate until spring arrives. But a whiff of this Bhogichi bhaji, Tilachi Vadi- A Makar Sankranti Special Sweet! and Microwave Sesame Seed Laddus in 1½ minutes! would wake me up. It is that good, folks!

The festival of Sankranti is celebrated all over India, with different names. With respect to food, there are also commonalities like the fact that jaggery (gul) and sesame seeds (til) are eaten during this festival season. It makes perfect sense because according to Ayurveda, both jaggery and sesame seeds generate heat in the body….just what we need for winter, right?

Winter harvest vegetables are celebrated in various savory dishes. In Maharashtra, one of the dishes made is Bhogichi Bhaji, eaten on Bhogi day with bajri and til bhakri. Bhogichi bhaji itself has many recipes and names.

I have chosen to make Bhogichi bhaji that my family would relish. I had to use whatever veggies I could easily get here in snowy Boston this week. Also I used my cast iron pan because I believe everything tastes better in it, but you may use any pan of your choice.

Substitutions- I substituted some frozen veggies, where I did not get fresh ones, used shredded carrots as my family is not fond of cooked carrots and used the buttery Fordhook lima beans for ‘paavtey’…mmmm  that was a great substitution! On the other hand, when I could not find fresh or  frozen ‘suran root’ I used yucca instead. I like the taste of yucca but did not particularly care for it in this recipe. So would not use it the next time.

And just like I do for the traditional Kandamool- my root vegetable stew inspired by the global Rishis:) I make in early fall, I chose the proportions according to the veggies we like.

Shopping for the various ingredients and the prep work does take some effort and time, but the Bhogichi Bhaji cooks fast and once you taste it, you will find all the effort worthwhile….I assure you!

Winter harvest vegetables in a hearty, vegan, gluten free, vegetarian stew/bhaji with peanuts and sesame seeds. Easy #Indian heirloom #Sankranti #festival #recipe
Step by step photos

Bhogichi Bhaji

For the tempering-

• 1 tablespoon oil
  • ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
  • 6~7 fresh curry leaves
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • ½ teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)

Vegetables-

• 6 baby potatoes, cut into 4 leaving the stem end intact
  • ½ cup fresh suran root (aka elephant’s foot), peeled and diced into ½ inch chunks
  • 4~5 pieces of peeled drumstick ( I used frozen, defrosted)
  • 1 tablespoon raw peanuts, soaked in water
  • ¼ cup fresh harbhare/ fresh green gram (about ½ cup of the unpeeled ones)
  • Water as needed to cook vegetables
  • 4 baby eggplants
  • 10~12 flat green beans /shravan ghevda
  • 1 carrot cut into 4~5 pieces (I used ½ cup grated carrot)
  • 3/8 cup lima beans (I used Fordhook lima beans)
  • 5~6 frozen pearl red onions, defrosted ( aka sambar onions)
  • 1 small plum tomato, finely diced

• Salt to taste
  • 2 teaspoons roasted coriander seed powder
  • 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
  • 1 teaspoon goda masala
  • 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts, powdered
  • 3 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds, powdered
  • 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp (extracted after soaking 1 tablespoon dry tamarind in water)
  • 1 heaped tablespoon jaggery
  • 2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut (I used frozen, defrosted)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves

To Make the Bhogichi Bhaji-

1. For the prep work, soak the peanuts in water. In another bowl, soak the tamarind in water .Roast the sesame seeds and powder them. Powder the roasted peanuts. Prep all veggies. Deforst the frozen vegetables and 2 tablespoons of the grated coconut. Set aside.
  2. To cook the Bhogichi Bhaji- heat oil over medium heat, in a flat bottomed vessel or a deep pan. (I used my deep cast iron pan)
  3. Add the mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to splutter, add the rest of ingredients for the tempering in the order listed above.
  4. Add the potatoes, suran root, drumsticks, raw peanuts and harbhare. Add enough water to cook the vegetables, cover and cook for about 3 minutes.
  5. Add the eggplant, ghevda/ green beans, carrot, lima beans, pearl onions and salt to taste. Add the coriander and cumin seed powders, the goda masala and peanut powder. Add water as needed. I wanted a little gravy to the dish so added about ¾ cup water at this point. Cover and let cook another 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender cooked.
  6. Remove lid, add the finely diced tomato, ground sesame seed powder, the tamarind pulp and the jaggery. Check for salt and add if needed. Stir, cover and cook for 2 more minutes to assimilate flavors.
  7. Remove lid, top with the fresh grated coconut and the cilantro leaves.

Note-

• Cook vegetables in order of the cooking time required for them, starting with the ones that take the longest to cook.
  • The sesame seed and peanut powders act as a thickener so the water you add when cooking turns into a nice gravy.

Enjoy!  like I said before, this Bhogichi Bhaji needs some labor of love but once you taste it you will know that it was all worthwhile!

I am making a double batch next time 🙂

1. Sunil Nadkarni says:

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Wow! Looks yummy

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Thank you for your compliment Sunil 🙂

2. cindy knoke says:

I will make this! Thank you for posting~

Thanks so much Cindy.All the different vegetables add so many layers of flavor to this dish!

3. I used frozen drumsticks the other day and was slightly disappointed that the flavor was not as pronounced as I remember. I hope to find fresh in the stores when summer rolls around.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you Greg. Growing up in India, we had a huge drumstick tree in our backyard. I am crazy about drumsticks and use the frozen ones only when I don’t get the fresh ones.

1. We had a drumstick tree in the yard as well. I wish I had known then that the leaves are edible. I think even the canned drumsticks have more flavor than the frozen.

4. Such an interesting combination of vegetables and spices. Looks delicious! 🙂

Thanks so much Ronit!

What a star-studded line up of vegetables in your tasty concoction Sandhya. I’m sure the trip in your snowy Boston weather was all the more worth it when you found the one ingredient that was missing. Thanks for enlightening us on this Sankranti festival, I had not heard of it before. Those drumsticks …….love them! Last year I tried the frozen ones that I found in an Indian store. I added them in my dahl curry. It all looks delightful!

Thanks so much Loretta. What is subzero temperatures for foodies like us, right? I love the complex flavors all these vegetables bring to this dish.
      I am crazy about drumsticks in my daal too!

6. Archana says:

Amazing! Totally agree to make double batch of this healthy, warm goodness!

Thank you Archana. Your Aaji’s special recipe looks awesome.I like the simplicity of 5 vegetables in it.

1. Archana says:

Thank you Sandhya!

7. Aruna says:

I loved Bhoghichi Bhaji and will try this version too. I liked that you kept it chunky. 🙂

Thanks Aruna. I was salivating over your bhogichi bhaji too 🙂

8. This looks amazing. I also liked the ayurvedic explanation. I recommend MORE FESTIVALS if they produce dishes like this! 🙂

Thank you so much. I like the fact that the festivals were around harvests where they ate the fresh foods available at the time. Unfortunately with the snow in Boston, I could not get all fresh vegetables.
      Thank you for your kind words!

9. Looks so amazing… Feeling like start eating with spoon…

Thank you Ruchi! I like mixed vegetable dishes like these a lot.

10. This looks fantastic Sandhya – although looks like a fair bit of hard work is required to bring it together!

Laura, yes this was a labor of love 🙂 But once i had everything lined up, it cooked within minutes and was so delicious that it felt like it was all worth the effort!
      Thanks so much for your sweet words!

11. Neetha says:

The Bhogichi Bhaji looks very appetizing..!!

12. Rupali says:

Very tempting.

13. Ujwala says:

Sandhya, this looks so colorful and nice. I will definitely try.

Thanks Ujwala!

14. Sumith says:

An amazing combination of flavours!!

Thanks Sumith!

15. wonderful post, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector don’t understand this.

You must continue your writing. I’m sure,
    you’ve a great readers’ base already!

Thanks so much for your kind words.

16. Helen Bushe says:

This sounds delicious. I already have all the herbs and spices and Im sure I can obtain a good selection of vegetables. Is there another name (an Indian name) for “drumsticks” . I’ve no idea what these are.
    When I go shopping for vegetables I’ve never heard of, I google them and show picture to shopkeeper. This method usually works! 😉

1. Helen Bushe says:

Thank you Sandhya. I’ve been reading all about these drumsticks today. I’ve read that they’re “very well known” Ha! Also that they are a Superfood!!!!
        Can’t wait to try them.
        I’ll be a frequent visitor to your blog now that I’ve found the vegetarian section. 😊

I never knew they were superfood either. Growing up in India, we had a drumstick tree in the backyard. We never ate the leaves and now I read that they are super nutritious 🙂

17. My brother suggested I might like this website.
    He was entirely right. This post actually made my day.
    You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!

nk you so much for writing to me. I truly appreciate your kind words. I am happy that you liked Indfused- you made my day!