Peppers and Nuggets in Spicy Orange Sauce- A guest post for Aruna of Aharam

Enjoy this streamlined recipe for Indo American Chinese Vegetarian Entree, with a ‘lip smacking delicious’ sauce!

Popular # Indo Chinese, #vegetarian, soy nuggets and vegetables in a quick and easy spicy orange sauce
Peppers and Nuggets in Spicy Orange Sauce

A few weeks ago, I got a message from Aruna of Aharam asking if I could do a guest post for her! Needless to say that I was extremely honored !The amazingly talented and well recognized Aruna Panangipally had asked me to write a guest post! I am a huge fan of Aharam. When I read Aruna’s posts, it is like chatting with a friend, talking about recipes and of course sharing our mutual love of yummy chutneys, pickles and sauces 🙂

Aruna is a very versatile blogger. I have already bookmarked her Vegetable Manchow Soup and her Andhra special Dosakaya Mukkala Pachadi to make soon.

Do check out her amazing recipes  at-

blog: http://aahaaramonline.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Aahaaram
Twitter: @Ahaaram
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/Aahaaram/

I was excited about what I could do for the guest post.I wanted to do a recipe that-

• I could streamline to make it quick and easy
  • A healthier version of a favorite
  • Vegetarian
  • Lip smacking delicious!

That lead me to one of our very favorites – Peppers and Nuggets in Spicy Orange Sauce! I used  soy nuggets for this recipe, which taste awesome when cooked right and are a great source of protein. So do check out the detailed recipe below on how to cook them.

Step 1- Prepare the soy nuggets.
The nuggets are ready and the sauce is mixed!

The next step is to mix all the ingredients for the yummy sauce and cut the vegetables.I love the taste and crunch of lotus root so I add it to this dish .

Lotus root, onions , grated ginger,garlic and the peppers.

It is a quick  and easy dish that can be served with rice or noodles. With the ‘non deep fried nuggets’ and the  ‘finger licking good’ sauce, you will not want take out again:)

Peppers and Nuggets in Spicy Orange Sauce

For the Nuggets-

• 1 cup soy chunks, such as Nutrela
  • 3 cups hot water
  • ¼ cup milk
  • Salt to taste
  • ½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste
  • ½ teaspoon red chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch/cornflour
  • 1 teaspoon canola or olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Asian toasted sesame oil

For the sauce-

• ¼ cup hoisin sauce
  • ¼ cup orange marmalade
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or to taste)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • ½ cup water or stock

For the vegetables-

• 1/2 tablespoon each of the canola or olive oil and Asian toasted sesame oil
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 1 ½ tablespoons ginger garlic paste
  • 1 cup lotus root, peeled and diced or water chestnuts
  • 1 cup red pepper ,diced
  • 1 cup green pepper, diced
  • Salt to taste
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For the topping-

• ¼ cup roasted cashews and/or 1 tablespoon sesame seeds

To make the Peppers and Nuggets in Spicy Orange Sauce-

1. Boil the soy nuggets in hot water, milk and salt. When the water comes to a full boil, stir, lower heat and let the nuggets cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain, change the water 2 to 3 times and squeeze the nuggets between your palms to get rid of all the water in it. Spread them out on a paper towel to absorb the remaining moisture. This step is important to make sure the sauce does not turn watery.(Photo 1)
  2. Add the ginger garlic paste, the chili powder and the cornstarch and mix well.
  3. In a pan, heat the oil and shallow fry the nuggets in a single layer, on both sides. Remove from pan. Set them aside.
  4. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and stir.
  5. In the same pan, heat the canola or olive oil and Asian toasted sesame oil over medium heat. Add the onion, the ginger garlic paste and the lotus root and stir for a minute or so. Add the peppers, salt and black pepper and stir for another minute or so.
  6. Add the reserved soy chunks and the sauce. Stir well to coat and let it simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat. The soy chunks will absorb the sauce as it cooks and even as it cools.
  7. Top with the cashews and or sesame seeds and serve with white or brown rice.

Note- For non- vegetarians, soy chunks can be replaced with chicken nuggets. Reduce water to ¼ cup in the sauce and proceed with the recipe!

Hope you get to enjoy Peppers and Nuggets in Spicy Orange Sauce this weekend! I am taking mine and partying at Fiesta Friday hosted Angie and co- hosted by Sonal @ simplyvegetarian777 and Petra @ Food Eat Love

1. Sadie's Nest says:

This looks great! Congrats on the guest post. One day I hope I get to chat to someone about my chutneys! 😉

Thanks Sadie. we can chat about chutneys any day;)

2. Thank you for the wonderful post, Sandhya!

The pleasure is all mine, Aruna!

3. Love both of your work Sandy and Aruna!!
    Indo chinese is my absolute comforting food……either I am happy or sad..
    Loved the addition of lotus stems there 🙂

Thanks Sonal. I love Indo Chinese a lot too. Also I like stir fried lotus root so much that I build my recipe around it:)

1. I love your creativity and approach towards food Sandy ❤️

4. Delicious and Healthy..:)

Thank you so much!

What a wonderful dish Sandhya! Do you know someone once told me about the soy chunks, so I bought a box. I didn’t have a clue what to do with it, so I dumped it. I’m just gonna have to go back to the Indian store and buy me another box and try this great recipe. I’ve never cooked Indo-Chinese dishes before, I know they are pretty popular in India right? Great variety of ingredients in your dish.

Thank you Loretta! I did not cook much with soy chunks either but when I tried soy granules and liked them, I decided to give the soy chunks a try. They are a good source of protein and taste good as long as they are boiled and squeezed as I reiterated in the recipe. Indo Chinese dishes are extremely popular in India but adding hoisin sauce , orange marmalade and the lotus root are more the American Chinese influences too. So this is a big fusion recipe:) We love the flavor a lot and am thinking of making the chicken nugget version again soon.
      Hope you are okay with the snowstorm there. We lucked out this time Just a couple of inches of snow here.

6. Looks grt.. Love the way u played with flavours

Thank you so much Vidya!

7. This is absolutely drool worthy , Sandhya!

Thank you so much Freda!

Congratulations on your guest post Sandhya! The sauce looks incredible! Beautiful dish 🙂

Thank you so much dear Antonia!

9. chefceaser says:

Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.

Thank you so much for reblogging this Chef Ceaser! I appreciate your kind gesture.

10. Fuss Free Helen says:

I love the inclusion of marmalade in the sauce – i am trying to empty the preserve shelf in the store cupboard at the moment so this is perfect!

I know what you mean about emptying the shelves. I have to do that too. I am not a huge fan of marmalade but love it in this recipe, so I get it specifically for this sauce.

11. Beautiful dish! I have never tried soy nuggets but they look super good. Bookmarking it to try soon.

Thanks so much. Do let me know how you like them.

12. This looks yummy. I like these types of chicken recipes!!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words.

13. kushigalu says:

Beautiful post! Looks delicious and flavorful!

Thank you so much Kushi!

14. These soy nuggets keep eluding me, can’t find them! Are they in the frozen section? I would love to try them especially cooked the way you did here. Sounds fantastic!

Thanks Angie. I get them at the Indian store in the regular (non frozen) aisle. I used a company called Nutrela.They come in a box -either in a nugget form or ground, which resembles ground meat.

15. Christine says:

Amazing recipe! Love the added citrus-y punch! ❤

Thanks Christine. I am not a huge marmalade fan but it really tastes awesome in this recipe!

16. petra08 says:

This looks utterly delicious! Light and packed with flavour, I would love a bowl of this now! Happy Fiesta Friday! 🙂

Thank you so much Petra! Happy Fiesta Friday to you too!

Sandh’t send you to your blog. I just wanted you to realize I had lost touch due to this glitch. Someone told me I need to do something about mine, too. So, here I am enjoying this guest post. I will have to eliminate green peppers for some odd reason several people in my family can tolerate the milder yellow and red ones. I will try this recipe out! Hugs, Robin

Robin, I am not sure what the glitch is. I have my domain now but am still at wordpress at indfused.com
      I did not get your posts in my reader either and was getting worried, so I finally googled and went to your blog.
      So glad to know that all is well with you and that you are enjoying your grand babies. Luckily Boston got only a couple of inches this time so we were all fine.Thank you so much for asking.

18. Swati says:

Love indo chinese food and version of Soy chinks looks so tempting. This is my first time in FF and I am so glad to find soem of my known faces here :). Will try this recipe soon

Swati, so glad to meet you at FF ! Thank you so much for your kind comments. I love Indo Chinese food too and this easy streamlined recipe works very well to satisfy those cravings. I have a gobi manchurian recipe on Indfused that is really awesome too….if I may say so myself:)

19. Wonderful guest post and delicious dish. I just love fusion recipes and this is a brilliant combination of Indian and Asian cuisine. Gorgeous ohots too!!

Thank you so much Suzanne!

20. Aaru's Mom says:

Looks like a great recipe! Using orange marmalade in a veggie seems so unique! 🙂

Thanks.I am not a huge fan of marmalade but it tastes really delicious in this recipe

21. CHCooks says:

Looks divine 🙂 I am going to try this very soon, Sandhya! Thanks to Lina’s North Indian Challenge, I found your blog 🙂

Thank you so much! I am so glad that you found my blog.