With Super bowl fast approaching, are you thinking of tantalizing appetizers and snacks for the parties? These Baked Vada Paav Poppers, with bread covering an irresistible Indian flavored potato filling, will be a hit at any party! And they are quick and easy to make….read on to find the shortcut !!
Does the mention of vada paav make your mouth water? Then you will find these Baked garlicky, Vada Pav Poppers absolutely enticing.
Vada paav is an extremely popular, mouthwatering street food in Mumbai, India. It is made of a spiced potato patty, dipped in gram flour and deep fried. It is served hamburger style, in a bun, with chutneys. My husband and kids enjoy the sandwich with cheese added to the mix. That is how I thought of these yummy parcels.
Here is my step by step on how to make them-
I start by making the making a simple potato mixture. For the outer dough covering, I used Pillsbury Grands Jr. buttermilk flaky biscuits. I separated the 10 biscuits and rolled them to about 6 inches in diameter, over a smidgen of oil so they don’t stick to the rolling surface. I transferred these circles to a baking tray lined with a baking mat. I topped the circles of dough with some shredded cheese and the potato mixture and covered it with the dough. I put them seam side down on the baking tray, sprinkled garlic powder, a little additional shredded cheese and cilantro or coriander leaves. I baked them in a preheated oven.
Eighteen minutes later, the hot and scrumptious Vada Paav Poppers are ready to be served with the chutneys. I got store bought hot garlic chutney and sweet and sour tamarind chutney.
Baked Vada Paav Poppers
For the potato filling-
- 3 big sized potatoes, boiled, peeled and chopped coarsely
- ½ inch peeled fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 small green chili pepper, minced fine
- 1 handful of cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
- Juice of ½ a small lime
- Salt to taste
For the cover-
- 12 ounce Pillsbury Grands Jr. refrigerated buttermilk flavored, flaky biscuit dough
- About 2 teaspoons oil to roll dough on
- ½ cup each grated sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- Garlic powder for sprinkling
- Some chopped cilantro for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Dry coconut and garlic chutney
- Sweet and sour tamarind date chutney
To make the Baked Vada Paav Poppers-
- Mix together all the ingredients for the potato filling. Divide the mixture into 10 balls. Set aside.
- Separate the pre-sectioned dough into 10 parts and roll each of them on a greased surface to about 6 inches in diameter.
- Divide the cheddar and mozzarella cheese into 10 parts, reserving a couple of tablespoons for sprinkling on top.
- In each of the rolled dough circles, place 1 part of the cheese and a ball of the potato filling. Pull the edges of the dough over the top and pinch them together.
- Place them seam side down on the baking tray. Sprinkle with garlic powder, the reserved cheese and coriander/cilantro, if using.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 18 minutes or until baked and golden brown.
- Serve with the chutneys!
Note- I did not dip the vadas in besan mixture but if you want to, you can do so and then add it to the dough circle. It will bake together with the biscuit dough.