This ‘got to try’ Indian fusion salad, is gluten free,packed with nutrition, low in fat and simply nummy!
I love the ‘nummy in my tummy’ salads. With the plethora of fresh veggies and fruit in the summer, I am eager to try new salads in the summer. But many a times when we eat out, I find that the salad dressings are doused with so much fat and preservatives, that it makes me cringe. So I am always trying new recipes at home for clean eating.
This Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad takes inspiration from the simple Kobichi Pachadi, a typically Maharashtrian salad recipe in India. I added the mung dal as an easy to digest protein and the healthy pomegranate arils add both a visual and flavorful contrast to the salad. The dressing is simply lemon juice with a touch of salt and sugar or honey. That simple! But that along with the spice tempering make the salad come alive, with the flavors bursting in your mouth!
Shaved Brussel Sprouts, Mung Dal and Pomegranate Aril Salad
- ½ cup mung dal
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 7~ 8 fresh curry leaves
- 1 small green chili pepper, split lengthwise (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 10 medium sized Brussel sprouts, sliced thin by hand or a mandolin
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¾ teaspoon sugar or honey
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
To make the Shaved Brussel Sprouts, Mung Dal and Pomegranate Salad-
- Wash, drain and soak the mung dal for 4 hours or so. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mustard and cumin seeds. When they start sputtering, add the curry leaves and the green chili pepper( if using). Stir for about 15 seconds and add the asafetida and turmeric powders. Stir for about 10 seconds or so until the powders no longer have a raw smell. Add the drained mung dal.
- Stir the mung dal well to coat it with the spice tempering. Add salt and about 3 table spoons of water. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mung dal is cooked soft but not mushy. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, wash and trim the Brussel sprouts and slice them thinly by hand or a mandolin.
- In a bowl, combine the mung dal mixture with the shaved Brussel sprouts. Whisk together the lemon juice and sugar or honey , add to the salad and toss well.Check for salt.
- Top with the pomegranate arils and serve!