Churma Laadoos in under 10 minutes! Kid friendly nutritious snack that is a breeze to make with this new simplified (non- deep fried) recipe!
Thank you for your requests for nutritious snacks for kids. These Churma laadoos will be a favorite with both kids and adults! I love the grainy, crispy texture of the traditional Churma Laadoos and their taste. But I wanted to make them healthier and with kid appeal! and yes….we adults can enjoy them too with a cup of tea and Baked Khari Puri with Oats and Pancake Mix, as I did on a leisurely afternoon recently 🙂
Traditionally Churma Laadoos are made by deep frying wheat dough balls. The deep fried balls are then cooled and crushed to make tiny grains that are mixed with ghee, sugar or jaggery, poppy seeds and coconut and made into laadus.
My experiment was to use the shredded whole wheat cereal and crush it for that grainy, crunchy, signature taste of Churma Laadus. I thought….an easy shortcut plus what do you do with that leftover wat of ghee you have after deep frying? But seriously, this recipe gave me the texture without the deep frying. One table spoon of ghee gave me the ghee flavor I crave in laadus. I added the mineral rich poppy seeds and the toasted coconut and jaggery.
I thought of the peanut butter for the protein content and the taste that kids (and adultsJ) love. Check out the easy step by step for these laddoss that will be ready in under 10 minutes!
Mix all together and form into laadoos!
These Churma Laadus are seriously addictive……I could not wait until I could photograph them and dig in!
Churma Laadoo -A Modern Take
- 1 heaped cup sweetened Mini wheats cereal, 2 (1.75 ounce) boxes
- ¼ cup shredded dry, unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 heaped tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon jaggery
To make the Churma Laadoos-
- In a food processor, blitz the shredded wheat cereal 3 to 4 times. Add the toasted coconut and poppy seeds and whirl a couple more times to get a grainy mixture. Alternately, put the mixture in a zip lock bag and roll over with a rolling pin to crush them into fine grain.
- In a frying pan, heat the ghee over low heat. Add the grainy shredded wheat, coconut and poppy seed mixture and toast over low heat for about 3 to 4 minutes until it is fragrant and golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the cardamom powder and salt and mix well.
- Remove pan from heat. In the same warm pan, add the peanut butter and the jaggery. Mix until blended and all the jaggery lumps are dissolved.
- Add the dry toasted mixture. Mix well. The key here is to use your fingertips to rub the dry ingredients into the peanut butter jaggery mixture, so it is easy to form the laadoos.
- Form into laadoos and enjoy!
- This recipe makes the laadoos medium sweet. Add 1 more table spoon of jaggery if you like laddoos sweeter.
- Another variation is to roll the laadoos in toasted poppy seeds instead of putting them in the mixture.