Indo Mexican fusion recipe that is hearty and filling yet figure friendly, vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. Packed with nutrition and all your favorite Mexican flavors too!
Spring seems to be SO far away! As I write this, we have had a major snow storm. Check out this view outside our side door. Those branches bent under the heavy wet snow belong to our 10 feet tall Rose of Sharon.
We have no electricity, phones or wi-fi. and spoiled as we are with all the modern conveniences, we seem to wander around the house not knowing what to do …until we realize we better start digging ourselves out 🙂
So I was able to cook this hearty, vegetarian, wholesome Indo Mexican soup that will keep us warm and full too.
As I made several soups for our family over the years, I have discovered that cooked masoor dal is my favorite ‘go to’ soup base. It is vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, all natural, boosts the protein content, adds texture and taste, cooks super-fast and whisks smooth. It also infuses whatever flavors you add to it. I add turmeric to it for an extra health boost! Also, you can cook a big batch and freeze individual portions so you have this soup base ready at your fingertips when you need it. Isn’t that fabulous?
I added sweet potato chunks, black beans, corn and our favorite Mexican flavors like chipotle in adobo and cumin powder to it this time. Tender cooked crisp zucchini, avocado, scallions and tortilla chips top this soup to add texture and fun!
In true Indfused style, this soup is loaded with healthy, locally available ingredients, is filling yet light and super scrumptious!
Hope you enjoy it too.
Chunky Sweet Potato Soup
- 1/2 cup masoor dal/ red lentils, washed and drained
- 3 cups water, divided
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Sea salt as per taste
- ½ cup peeled sweet potato cut in ½ inch cubes. I used Trader Joes organic sweet potatoes
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- ½ cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (defrosted)
- ¾ teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle in adobo (or to taste)
- 1 cup cooked black beans home cooked or canned low sodium black beans. I cook a big batch and freeze in small portions in freezer bags.
- ¾ cup cubed zucchini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sliced avocado, scallions and tortilla chips for topping
To make the Chunky Sweet Potato Soup-
- In a sauce pan combine the masoor dal with 2 cups of the water, turmeric and sea salt. Cook over medium heat. When the water comes to a boil, reduce heat and cook partially covered until the masoor dal is cooked, about 10 to 12 minutes. I cook this soup base in a large batch and freeze in smaller portion sizes, so I have this healthy soup base at my fingertips for many of Indfused’s soups. Whisk with a wire whisk so the mixture is smooth and silky, taking care as the mixture is hot.
- Add the additional 1 cup water, turn up heat to medium, and add the cubed sweet potato and the minced garlic. Let it cook until the sweet potato is soft but not mushy.
- Add the corn kernels, let cook for 2 minutes and then add the cumin seed powder, chipotle in adobo, black beans and zucchini. Cook until the zucchini is just tender crisp, about 2 minutes or so.
- Add the lemon juice, stir and serve topped with the sliced avocado, scallions and tortilla chips.
Stay warm everyone. I hear that we may have another storm next week. We sure will appreciate spring even more when it finally arrives!