Easy, low cal, vegan recipe for an Indian savory snack mix made with nutritious, gluten free, sorghum and fox nuts.
Chatting with a dear friend over chai and chivda is so good for the soul! They seem to bond the friendship even more. Don’t you think?
Chivda is a savory (and addictive) snack or trail mix that is also a must have on summer car trips, beach picnics, hikes….you get the picture. Chivda is an essential part of fun 🙂 For me it truly is an addictive snack.
But more often than not, store bought chivda has many deep fried ingredients stacking mega calories which leaves one (me) feeling guilty. Hence this quest for scrumptious but low cal, gluten free, vegan chivda made with nutritious ingredients like sorghum and fox nuts.
Sorghum or jowar is a mild tasting, gluten free grain that is now gaining popularity in the United States. It is packed with nutrients and is high in fiber. Sorghum flour is used to make a wholesome flat bread called bhakri in Maharashtra, India, where I grew up. The puffed grains are like mini popcorn.
Makhana is popped lotus seed and is also called fox nuts. Recently they are all the rage as a health food. They are low in sodium and sugar content and high in anti oxidants, potassium and fiber.
Both Makhana and Sorghum are low in calories. They seem to be bland on their own, but with simple seasonings used in this chivda, they come alive! I used garlic, curry leaves and turmeric for additional health benefits. All these ingredients are available in Indian stores.
Look how easy the step by step is-
So are you ready for this guilt free chivda that you can munch on as you chat with your dear friends?
I know I am 🙂
Low Calorie Healthy Chivda
- 2 1/2 cups makhana or fox nuts
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- ½ cup raw peanuts with skin
- ¼ cup cashew nuts
- ¼ cup sliced dry coconut
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 7~8 fresh curry leaves
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon medium chili powder or to taste
- 5 cups popped sorghum ( jondhlyachya lahya in Marathi)
- 1 teaspoon amchur or dried mango powder
- Sea salt to taste
To make the Low Cal, Healthy Chivda
- I used my cast iron pan. Heat the pan, then turn the heat down to low and add the makhana. Stir them on low heat for about 5 minutes or until they are toasty and crunchy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To the pan, add 2 teaspoons of the coconut oil, and the peanuts and stir until they are toasty. Remove from the pan and repeat the process for the cashews and then the coconut slices. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the additional 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and fry the sliced garlic and curry leaves on low until the garlic and curry leaves are crispy, taking care not to burn them.
- Add the turmeric and chili powders and stir for a quick 15 seconds. Toss in the nuts and coconut slices, the sorghum and fox nuts, salt and amchoor powder. Stir well to combine and let the mixture toast on low for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Crunchy, crispy yummy chivda is ready!
Wishing you all a very happy weekend!