Simply delectable and filling Thai Pumpkin Soup with turmeric and coconut milk!Gluten free.
Have you cooked a whole pumpkin in the Instant pot yet? That is an awe-inspiring experience in itself!
I had this pumpkin my son got from the farm. I love the flavor of pumpkin in a variety of dishes, both savory and sweet. But cutting the pumpkin is not easy for me. So, it was Instant Pot to the rescue! And what an amazing rescue it was!
Check this out!
Coconut milk, pumpkin and Thai red curry paste is a favorite flavor combination of mine. I put the ingredients back in the instant pot and cooked for another 5 minutes so the flavors mingle.
And mingle they did! Do try this delectable, filling soup this holiday season! Check out this easy recipe-
Instant Pot Pumpkin Thai Soup
- 1 pumpkin about 2.75 pounds (1 ¼ kg)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, diced fine
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder
- ½ cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Juice of 1 big lime
- Topping- coconut milk, chili flakes, cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds
To make the Instant Pot Pumpkin Thai Soup-
- In the Instant Pot insert, add 1 ½ cups of water and the steamer rack. Cut the pumpkin stem and put it on the steamer rack. Close the lid and set the pressure valve to on. Set the Instant Pot to Manual mode for 13 minutes. After natural pressure release, open the Instant Pot. Let the pumpkin cool until it is cool enough to touch.
- Remove pumpkin from Instant Pot onto a platter or big bowl. Peel the pumpkin, cut in half and scoop out the seeds. Mash the pumpkin lightly.
- Remove the steamer rack and drain the water from the Instant Pot. Heat it on Saute mode.
- Add the coconut oil and the finely diced onion and sauté for about a minute. Add the turmeric powder, red Thai curry paste and the dry ginger powder. Stir and add the mashed pumpkin, the stock, salt, fish sauce and brown sugar. Let it come to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup for 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Shut off the Instant Pot.
- Carefully blend the soup with an immersion blender, add the coconut milk and the lime juice.
- Top with some coconut milk, cilantro, red chili flakes and toasted pumpkin seeds. Serve.
Hope you enjoy this easy recipe for delicious pumpkin soup !