A refreshing, all natural beverage with multiple health benefits and no added refined sugar!
It is high summer in the Boston area with temperatures soaring into the 90s! So, cool refreshing drinks are what is on our minds.
Kairiche panhe is a traditional Maharashtrian beverage made in the spring and summer with raw mangoes. Kairi means raw mango. Panhe tastes amazing, but I also cringe when I think about the amount of sugar that goes in it.
The raw mangoes I had purchased to make another batch of the Raw Mango Pickle, had a sweet and sour taste. So, I thought of making panhe instead. Bonus was that it would not need to be sweetened as much. My creative juices started flowing when I remembered the super sweet fresh pineapple I had. So I blended the two fruits with a touch of honey and found out that it tasted superb! Cardamom and saffron give it the classic panhe taste!
This beverage with no added sugar, combines the two nectarous fruits. They have numerous health benefits! Combined this drink is said to be anti-inflammatory, rich in vitamin C and is an immunity booster.
Panhe is typically served at womens haldi kunku/ get togethers with Kairichi Dal.
Mango Pineapple Panhe
- 1 medium sized raw mango, peeled, pitted and rough chopped
- ¾ cup of chopped pineapple
- 1 tablespoon honey. You may need more or less depending on the sweetness of the fruit.
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon ground green cardamom
- 1 fat pinch of saffron strands
- Crushed ice to serve
To make the Mango Pineapple Panhe-
- Simply blend together the mango, pineapple, honey, salt and water. I used my Vitamix blender.
- Add the ground cardamom and the saffron strands, stir and pour over crushed ice to serve.