Broiled Stuffed Indo Mexican Jalapenos

Gluten free, non-fried, crunchy, cheesy and spicy- a perfect Indo Mexican appetizer!

Non- fried, stuffed jalapenos with an Indian spiced potato and pea filling that is cheesy, crunchy, spicy and yummy!
Broiled Stuffed Indo Mexican Jalapenos!
Non- fried, gluten free,stuffed jalapenos with an Indian spiced potato and pea filling that is cheesy, crunchy, spicy and yummy!
Cheesy, crunchy and ooh so good Broiled Stuffed Indo Mexican Jalapenos!

Are you crazy about spicy foods?  Does your mouth water at the sight of mirchi vada, mirchi bajji/bhaji, jalapeno poppers and chili rellenos?

I am crazy about these foods and wish I could eat unlimited quantities of these. But have to limit myself as they are all deep fried. My joy knew no bounds when I made these Broiled Stuffed Jalapenos that give me the taste and the crunch without the deep frying!

I made it quite by accident too. I had some leftover potato filling which I wanted to use. So I was looking around in my refrigerator and pantry. No wonder then that the fresh green jalapeno chilies and the Sargento Mexican blend cheese caught my eye! I had a bag of sweet potato corn chips from Trader Joe’s that I used for the crunchy topping.

So, if you have the filling ready like I did, these Broiled Stuffed Indo Mexican Jalapenos are ready in under 10 minutes!

So are you ready for some ‘garma garam’ non-fried, cheesy, stuffed jalapenos? Here is the step by step-

Step by step instructions- Left to right- 1.whole and cut jalapenos with seeds and core removed, 2.raw vs cooked in microwave( the microwaved half on the right) and 3. jalapenos with stuffing and topping

Broiled Stuffed Indo Mexican Jalapenos

• 12 large size jalapenos, cut into two vertically, and core and seeds removed

For the filling-

• 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
  • ¼ cup frozen, defrosted green peas or corn
  • 1 large baking potato, boiled, peeled and mashed (about 1 heaped cup mashed potato)
  • 1 teaspoon roasted dhania jeera powder (roasted coriander seed and cumin seed powder).
  • 1 teaspoon amchur (dried mango) powder
  • ½ teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
  • Salt to taste
  • ½ cup Mexican blend grated cheese

For the topping-

• Corn tortilla chips, crushed fine

To make the Broiled Stuffed Jalapenos-

1. Wash and pat dry the jalapenos. Cut the jalapenos vertically in two, wearing kitchen gloves, if necessary. Scoop out the seeds and center with a spoon. Set the jalapenos aside.
  2. For the filling, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the grated ginger and stir for about 30 seconds or until fried but not burnt. Add the defrosted peas or corn and stir for another minute.
  3. Add the mashed potato, dhania jeera, amchur and chili powders and the salt. Stir well to combine and let the mixture roast for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Let it cool.
  4. Mix in the grated Mexican blend cheese. Divide mixture in 24 parts.
  5. Arrange a few jalapenos at a time on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes, checking after each minute to see if the jalapenos have softened and ‘blistered’ (as shown in the photo). Microwave all the cut jalapenos.
  6. Stuff the microwaved jalapeno halves with the potato stuffing and arrange in an oven proof dish. Top with the crushed tortilla chips, pressing it in lightly.
  7. Broil in the center of a 300 degree oven for 5 minutes or until the topping is golden and fragrant and the cheese is melted.

Note-

• The oven timings are based on my microwave and toaster oven timings.

Oven and microwave oven temperatures and timings vary. So add/ deduct time according to your ovens.

Enjoy!

I  am sending this #itsLeftoverMakeover  recipe to ITSPOTLUCK. I created this recipe from leftover potato sandwich filling. The leftover filling was all gone when presented in these Baked Stuffed  Indo Mexican Chilies which are crunchy and yummy without the deep frying.

1. I could eat this for every meal for the rest of my life! Of course I won’t, but I would like to!

You are like me Greg. I made them again today:) Thank you so much for the sweet comment!

2. These look like very tasty fusion nibbles! 🙂

Thank you Ronit! I love hot foods so this has become a new addiction:)

3. Uma Srinivas says:

Yes really mouth watering Sandhya ! Making this soon 🙂

Uma, I made them again today.Do let me know how you like them.

4. Those peppers are just beautiful and sound delicious too. I love your photo’s they are just gorgeous.

Thank you so much Suzanne! This has become my new addiction:) I really appreciate your sweet comment about my photography.

5. lmarea3070 says:

Yummy pictures!

Thank you so much!

6. Aruna says:

I want, I want!

Aruna, we share love of chutneys and chillies! I made and ate these again today:) You are welcome to come anytime! I will make them for you:)

1. Aruna says:

True that, our common love for chutneys and chillis. 💕💕

I finally made your dish yesterday. Now to write it up. I also had an epiphany as I made it. More later in a mail. 🙂

7. CHCooks says:

Looking super delicious 😊😊

Thank you so much!

8. Super yummy… Parcel some yar. Like U and Aruna , me too Chilli and Chutney lover 🙂 😉

We have to have a chilli and chutney get together, Ruchi!

1. Ha ha so true… let’s do it 🙂 🙂 🙂

9. A favorite appetizer and different from mine. Yours is Indian style and I am sure delicious “)

Thanks Judi! Mine was prompted by leftover potato filling 🙂

10. If I didn’t have stomach problems I’d eat that in an instant! Looks great!

🙂 thanks! I made the similar ones with zucchini and summer squash for my husband who did not want the jalapenos either:)

11. Loved the recipe Sandhya…. The idea of crumbling with tortilla chips is great idea… Iove stuffed jalapeños.. Must try adding tortilla bits to mine next time… As always the clicks are lovelyhttp://www.mumbaitomelbourne.com/food-and-health-blog-posts/batata-vada-or-vada-pav-mumbai-style-fried-potato-fritters

Thanks Sharvari. Yes the tortilla chips give the crunch without the deep frying and taste awesome! How is your little one doing?

12. Lina says:

Sounds very creative and delicious! Love the fusion

Thanks Lina. these stuffed jalapenos have become my new addiction…they are really yummy!

I am crazy about spicy foods! These look just perfect Sandhya!

Thanks so much Antonia!

14. looks delicious Sandhya! Saving this recipe 🙂

Thanks so much! Do let me know how you like them.

Sandhya, my son grows jalapeños so I will share this recipe with Jamie! Sounds yummy! Hope you are well and enjoying some pretty walks outdoors, dear. 🙂

wow! I admire your son for growing jalapenos! That must be so much fun!
      It is warming up this week. Our town of Lexington is buzzing with tourists. The Patriots Day reenactments are amazing to watch. Hope all is well with you, Robin.

16. This looks delicious!

Thanks Indah. I love hot and spicy food so these are a favorite. Plus I found a way to enjoy them without the deep frying:)