Crispy on the outside, soft and ‘melt in your mouth good’ inside, these vegetarian, gluten free Dal Vadas, with corn and avocado, are not deep fried either!
Dal Vadas are rich in protein and a great gluten free snack. They are typically made with chana dal or yellow split peas and spices. I love how the flavor of sweet corn compliments the astringent dal, so I added corn to the mix.
Traditionally Dal Vadas are deep fried and best when eaten hot out of the fryer. When they cool down, the texture changes dramatically and they taste very dry.
That is why I thought of adding avocado to the mix! The healthy avocado also makes these vadas soft and buttery on the inside. Plus, making them in the aape pan with just a couple of drops of olive oil made them crisp on the outside, without the deep frying.
We have had cold , damp and rainy weather for the past two weeks now and these warm , crisp and luscious Dal Vadas, served with the avocado chutney, have certainly brightened our drab days 🙂
Here is the easy step by step-
If you are using fresh tender corn, check out my easy method of removing the corn kernels in the recipe for Raw corn koshimbir
Dal Vadas....with a healthy twist
- ½ cup chana dal or yellow split peas
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 dried red chilies (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ cup fresh steamed or defrosted corn kernels
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- Olive oil
To make the Dal Vadas-
- Wash the chana dal with several changes of water and drain. Soak in fresh water for about 4 hours. Drain reserving about ¼ cup of the water. Grind the chana dal, garlic, chilies and cumin seeds, using only as much water as needed to grind the dal and spices coarsely.
- Add the corn kernels, avocado and salt. Mix well.
- Heat the appe/abelskiever pan over medium heat. Add a drop of oil in each indentation and immediately top it with the chana dal batter. Add a couple of drops of oil around the side of each indentation. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Let them cook for about 3~4 minutes or until golden brown. Turn them in the pan, cover and let them cook on the other side for about 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve with avocado chutney.
- Finely diced onion, cilantro, curry leaves or celery also taste good in this batter.
- Batter can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Bring it to room temperature before making the vadas.
I hope you enjoy these Dal Vadas as much as we did!