Quick and easy, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, recipe for an Indian spiced savory cauliflower rice that makes a perfect side dish or a light meal!
Cauliflower rice has been popular for quite some time now. I liked the idea of a lower carb option but truth be told……I was skeptical about tricking my rice loving taste buds.
That was until this gorgeous yellow cauliflower at the farmers market caught my eye! Does this happen to you? At such times, I am standing there oblivious of people around me, looking at that beautiful deep yellow cauliflower thinking of what I could make with it….and the wheels started turning….what if I made it into cauliflower upma?
Luckily people around me were nice this time….unlike the time I stood next to yummy looking yams……but that is a story for another day 🙂
Back to my irresistible yellow cauliflower! I simply cut chunks of it and put them in my food processor which I then realized was broken. So I discovered that a mini chopper works fine too. Once that is done, your meal is ready in a matter of minutes!
The tempering of Indian spices transformed the cauliflower into 5 cups of delectable low carb, low cal upma! I am happy to have discovered this yummy, low calorie yet filling dish!
I cannot wait to make my Scrumptious Spaghetti Squash Upma this fall again, another of my favorites that was a hit last year! My book club friends always demand my Indian Noodles so as we start another year of book club, that is on my list too!
Cauliflower Rice Upma
- 1 big head of cauliflower
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 dried red chilies
- 6~8 fresh curry leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Juice of ½ lime
- Fresh grated coconut and cilantro leaves for topping (optional)
To make the Cauliflower Rice Upma-
- Wash, trim and cut the cauliflower into big florets. You can use a food processor/ mini chopper or the coarse side of a grater to cut the cauliflower into small grain like rice. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, over medium heat. Add the urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds,the dry red chilies and curry leaves in that order. When the spices sizzle and splutter,add the asafetida powder and the turmeric powder and stir for another 30 seconds or so to let the flavors bloom.
- Add the riced cauliflower and salt and saute the mixture well for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the cauliflower is coated with the spices and is cooked tender crisp.
- Add the sugar and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Serve topped with the grated coconut and cilantro leaves, if desired.
Enjoy this filling yet low calorie dish! It is all about the balance, right?