A salad with spa panache! Vegetarian, vegan and gluten free home made creamy dressing with coconut milk.
This refreshing and healthy salad will transport you to a tropical paradise spa! Feel the island breeze as you devour this salad made of massaged greens and radicchio tossed with fresh pineapple, apple and blackberries in delectable coconut pineapple dressing…… and…..wait for it…. topped with roasted pumpkin seeds !
And if the Destination Spa Salad has this kind of power transporting me from chilly, snowy New England, imagine what it could do for you! I am telling you, it is so totally worth giving the greens a massage 😉
I tempered the spices in coconut oil. According to Ayurveda, mustard seeds are said to have anti cancerous properties, asafetida is good for digestion, turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and blood purifier and the green chili helps with metabolism. Tempering the spices helps bring out their volatile oils and hence their goodness. This tempered oil was used to massage the kale, radicchio, shaved Brussel sprouts, broccoli rabe and cabbage.
The creamy, nectarous dressing is fresh pineapple blended with coconut powder, Dijon mustard and Himalayan pink rock salt.
My daughter believes that I am a ‘certifiable’ health nut 🙂 and my children will be happy to relate many funny stories about how I take up a cooking challenge. It is no surprise then that when I saw Angie’s brilliant idea for Fiesta Friday healthy recipe challenge , I knew it was calling my name! I cannot wait to see what my fellow bloggers have come up with. They are all so super talented. Do check out their recipes too.
Here is my recipe-
Destination Spa Salad
For the tempering-
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder
- ½ green chili, slit in the middle (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- About 4 cups of mixed greens- I used a prewashed precut bag with a combination of kale, broccoli rabe, cabbage, Brussel sprouts and radicchio.
- ½ fresh ripe pineapple, skin removed, cored and chopped into chunks.
- 1 small red delicious apple, cored and diced
- 8 blackberries
For the dressing-
- ¾ cup pineapple pieces (I reserved the better looking pieces to toss in the salad)
- 1/8 cup coconut milk powder or coconut cream from a can
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pink Himalayan rock salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
To make the Destination Spa salad-
- In a small pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and when they start to sputter, add the asafetida, green chili and turmeric powder. As soon as they sizzle and are fragrant, remove from heat. Let it cool a bit.
- Chop the washed and dried mixed greens if not using a fresh package of salad greens mix.
- Put them in a bowl, add the tempered oil and spices and massage the greens for about a minute. remove and discard the chili pepper. Set aside.
- Make the dressing- Simply combine all ingredients for the dressing and blend until smooth and creamy. If the pineapple is not sweet and tangy, you may need to add some sugar and lime juice. It makes about ½ cup dressing.
- To the massaged greens, add the reserved pineapple pieces, diced apple, blackberries. Pour some of the dressing, toss and serve topped with the roasted pumpkin seeds. Serve extra dressing on the side!
Note: This salad can also be made with the addition of 1 cup of shredded rotisserie chicken
Enjoy your Destination Spa staycation with this moreish salad!