Athena Melon Raita

Savory, versatile, fruit raita .Quick and easy Indian fusion recipe . Perfect side dish for a bbq or an Indian meal.

Savory, Indian fusion recipe for melon and fruit raita with Greek yogurt, mint and smoky cumin. easy versatile recipe.
Athena Melon Raita

Have you seen the Athena melons in the market? I bet you cannot miss them. They look like ginormous cantaloupes. What I like about this exceptionally sweet, fragrant musk melon is that even at its peak of ripeness, it maintains its firm texture and juicy consistency. Plus it offers aromatics of flowers and honey.

Just around the same time last year, I got one home ….true confession ….I did not know that they were called Athena melons back then….I called it a ginormous cantaloupe :). Either way,  the nourishing Terrific Triple C lassi with coconut milk I made with it last year was truly delectable!

Gluten free, vegetarian, nourishing lassi made with cantaloupe, carrots, honey and coconut milk! Vegan option recipe,
Terrific Triple C Lassi – Gluten free, vegetarian, nourishing lassi made with coconut milk! Vegan option in recipe

This year I  decided to use the sweet musk melon in a savory fruit raita. The sweetness of the melon juxtaposes splendidly with the tangy plain Greek yogurt and the smoky cumin. The cooling raita can be served as a side dish for any bbq . It also compliments any spicy entrée and can be served with naan, chapatti bread or rice and dal.

Plus it is super easy! I used blueberries and grapes, as that is what I had at home. You may add any fruit of your choice or make it with just the Athena melon.

Athena Melon Raita

• ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt. I used fat free Kirkland Greek yogurt.
  • ½ teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
  • ½ teaspoon chat masala
  • ½ teaspoon sugar
  • salt to taste
  • 1 ½ cups cubes or balls of the peeled and seeded Athena melon
  • ½ cup blueberries +grapes
  • 4 fresh mint leaves cut into a chiffonade
  • Hot sauce or paprika (optional)

To make the Athena Melon Raita-

1. Ina bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cumin seed powder, chat masala, sugar and salt.
  2. Gently fold in the melon balls or cubes, grapes, blueberries and the mint.
  3. If using, top with a few drops or hot sauce and/or dust with paprika and serve.

Enjoy the Athena melon Raita at your bbq- I like that it is a cooling, versatile raita side dish that can be served with all kinds of cuisines! So I am taking it to Angie’s Fiesta Friday co-hosted by the lovely duo  Judi @ cookingwithauntjuju.com and Sadhna @ Herbs, Spices and Tradition.

Have a fabulous long weekend!

Thanks again!

1. mistimaan says:

Great recipe Sandhya 🙂 Hope I can cook it following your steps 🙂

Thanks Priyabratta. No cooking required for this raita 🙂 Do let me know how you like it.

2. Vegetarian 😍😍 Yumm 😍

Yes I do have many vegetarian recipes on Indfused! So happy you visited.
      It gave me a chance to read your wonderful blog too. Keep writing! You write so well.

3. Looks so beautiful! And such a unique recipe ❤

Thanks so much Ellanor! And thank you for visiting my blog. It gave me a chance to visit your wonderful blog.

4. There you go again Sandhya – making a dish too pretty to eat with a spicy twist. Thanks for coming to the party and Happy FF!

Thanks so much Judi! The raita tastes so good but I was not sure how I could present it to look good too…..so happy to get your compliment 🙂
      Thanks for co-hosting FF!

5. The first time I’ve seen melon used in raita Sandhya – looks so good

Thanks Laura. I had not eaten a melon raita either but thought the flavors complimented each other so well! I would add a crunchy apple in it next time too 🙂

Thanks so much. You have beautiful wall papers on your site!

6. Beautifully plated dear… Melons in S Shape really look amazing !!

Thanks so much Vidya! Apna raita is so tasty but photo mey kaisey bataye? isliye S shape 🙂

1. ha ha … idea is good! Koshimbir kha ani masta raha .. agree right ?

Yes absolutely! 🙂

7. Hi Sandhya I would love to make this and am wondering if chat masala is the same as garam masala? Thanks so much, this looks so delicious!

Hi Marisa,
      Chaat/ chat masala is different from garam masala. Chat masala is tangy- it has black salt, coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder as some of its ingredients. Some have dried raw mango powder added for that tangy taste. Chat masala is available in Indian grocery stores and keep quite well for months at room temperature
      Hope you are enjoying labor day weekend!

1. I never new there were different types of Masala, thanks so much for clarifying! Enjoy your Labor Day weekend as well!

8. That looks so beautiful and I will definitely be making this. ☺

Thanks so much Myra! Hope you are enjoying the long weekend!

I don’t believe I’ve seen the melon you mention Sandhya. I’ll def have to hunt it down. The tart vs. the sweet taste in this raita has to be lip smacking.

Thanks so much Loretta! Yes the contrast of sweet and tart does taste good. I see these melons for a brief week or two at the end of summer.

Thanks so much!

10. Megala says:

Lovely melon ! Delicious raita !! Beautiful presentation !!!

11. You are so creative and I love greek yogurt..will certainly try it out!

Thanks Indah. Do let me know how you like it.

Thanks so much Angie!

12. skd says:

Amazing recipe Sandhya. I hadn’t heard of this variety of Cantaloupe before. This is a nice idea for Rajita. Thanks for sharing. And I noticed the signature😊👍🏻

Thanks so much Ana 🙂 These cantaloupes are in the market for just a week or two at the end of summer and although I know they are way too big for my family to eat, I cannot resist them as they are super sweet.