Easy recipe for gluten free, protein-rich, healthy, versatile wraps!
What kind of wrap sandwich do you reach for? For me, the outside wrap itself and the ‘filling’ both have to be mouthwatering and healthy at the same time. In my quest to find gluten free wraps, I found that the store bought ones had so many additives and the texture felt rubbery . Plus they cost so much more than regular wraps 😦
So I have been toying with the idea of making my own gluten free wraps. You know how much I enjoy exploring new products and creating new recipes with them. I am happy and grateful that Indfused’s readers like my creations and that I can share my honest opinions with you all.
For the gluten free flours, I used Namaste flours. Namaste products are all natural, whole grain, non-GMO and certified free of the top 8 allergens. In full disclosure, the flours that I used in this post were provided to me at no cost by Namaste. Honestly, there are very few companies that I will accept products from and I only write posts for products I believe to be good or those that align with Indfused’s line of thinking. Also, my opinion is my own.
When I was growing up in India, my mom used to get flours freshly ground from a flour mill nearby. I was reminded of the aroma of that freshly ground flour, when I opened the Namaste flour packages. I decided to experiment with a mix of the Perfect flour blend and the Organic quinoa flour to increase the protein content of the wraps and added cooked dal and tangy homemade yogurt too.
Recently my dear childhood friend sent me an article that reiterated the multitude of benefits of using turmeric in our daily diet. I use turmeric in my Indian cooking all the time and try to incorporate it in my fusion cooking too. So I thought why not turmeric wraps? Paired with smoky cumin, daal and tangy yogurt these wraps are super delicious.
The Namaste flours worked perfectly in my recipe. It was easy to roll the wraps as thin as I wanted them and roast them on a hot griddle.
The roti wraps tasted fresh, soft and scrumptious. I made a hummus and veggie wrap sandwich with it for myself. You can also eat them as rotis with a sweet mango pickle and yogurt too, like my hubby did.The wraps can be made a couple of days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. They remain super soft after reheating, as well.
I also made the party appetizer wrap spirals with my Turmeric Cumin Roti Wraps. The spread is cream cheese blended with honey and smoky cumin powder with a touch of red chili powder and salt. I used cooked beet, shredded carrots and cilantro but you may use your favorite veggies, wrap, cover tightly with a saran wrap,refrigerate to set. When ready to serve, remove the saran wrap and cut into spirals.
Turmeric Cumin Roti Wraps
- 1 cup Namaste gluten free Perfect flour blend
- ½ cup Namaste organic quinoa flour
- ½ cup cooked dal, mashed. You may use toor/tuver, mung or masoor/red lentil dal
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt. I used homemade 1% milkfat yogurt.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or honey
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive or coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons warm water, if needed
- Namaste Perfect blend flour for dusting
- Ghee/coconut oil/ olive oil to drizzle (optional)
To make the Turmeric Cumin Roti Wraps-
- Mix together the flours, dal, yogurt, turmeric and cumin seed powders, brown sugar or honey, chili powder, the oil and salt and knead together. Add the two tablespoons of water, if needed, to form a soft dough. Cover and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes or so.
- Divide the dough into 9 parts. Roll each part on a surface dusted with Namaste perfect flour blend, to about 9 inches in diameter.
- Roast the roti wrap on a griddle heated on medium heat. Turn the roti wrap and roast on the other side. Repeat the process of rolling and roasting with the other 8 parts. Drizzle the wraps with a few drops of ghee, coconut oil or olive oil, if using.
- Store in a container until ready to use.
Review- I am very happy with the freshness, taste and the ease of using the Namaste gluten free Perfect blend and organic quinoa flours and am looking forward to using them in many more recipes. I want to thank the good folks of Namaste for sending me the products.
And now for the giveaway!
One lucky reader will receive a Namaste tote bag with 4 Namaste food products. All you have to do is leave a comment on this post and you will be entered. The winner will be chosen randomly using random.org. Because of shipping costs the giveaway is good for participants in US and Canada only. The contest will end on September 22, 2017.
Wishing you luck!