Hara Bhara Quinoa Kebab

Heart healthy, morish kebabs for your Valentine!

#Valentine's #day #heart #healthy #recipe for #vegatarian# vegan,#gluten-free #scrumptious #kebab #with #organic #quinoa #spinach, #sweet potato,#ginger, #garlic , #sweet potato and #defatted #high #protein #soy #granules
Hara Bhara Quinoa Kebab

Food has been the language of love in our family! A huge part of our lives revolves around food. So to me, it makes sense to make healthier choices when cooking. And I strive to make sure I don’t sacrifice the taste, but rather enhance it.

I am happy to say that I achieved my goal when making these kebabs. Traditionally these kebabs are made of potatoes, green peas and spinach and coated with breadcrumbs. I used sweet potatoes, green peas, spinach and quinoa and coated the kebabs with soy granules. The texture the quinoa adds to this kebab, not to mention the protein, is really savory. The soy granule coating seriously takes this kebab to a new level and again ,is high in protein.

You know that I streamline my recipes to make them, easy and time saving. And this recipe is no exception. I cooked the quinoa and veggies together, combined it with the aromatics and spices and my mixture was ready! The heart- shaped mold, used for making ragda patties in India, was a loving gift from my mother in law. I shaped the patties in it, coated them with the soy granules and shallow fried the kebabs using just 1/3 of a tablespoon of olive oil for the small kebabs.

Kebab mixture and high protein soy granules
Heart shaped healthy kebab for Valentine’s day!

Hara Bhara Quinoa Kebab

• Servings: 6 big or 18 bite-size kebabs

• ¼ cup red organic quinoa
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 cup grated, peeled sweet potato
  • ½ cup frozen peas, defrosted
  • Salt to taste
  • 3 cups spinach leaves, roughly chopped
  • ½ inch ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 large clove garlic, peeled and grated
  • 1 teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
  • ½ teaspoon garam masala
  • 1 teaspoon chat masala
  • Defatted, high protein soy granules for coating
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

To make the Hara Bhara Quinoa Kebabs-

1. Wash and rinse the quinoa well and drain. Cook together the quinoa, water, grated sweet potato, peas and salt for about 12 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and cook for 3 more minutes. All ingredients should be cooked in about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  2. To the cooled mixture, add the grated ginger and garlic, the red chili powder, garam masala and chat masala and mix all together thoroughly, mashing it slightly as you mix.
  3. Shape into kebabs. Dredge in the soy granules.
  4. Shallow fry the kebabs.
  5. Serve with ketchup, hot sauce or sweet chutney

Enjoy the Hara Bhara Quinoa Kebabs with your Valentine!

Ha ha Aruna! Good one ❤

1. Sandhya you always come up with such innovative recipes… I love them!! And also love the photos you clicked!! 😊👍🏼

Thank you so much! I am so flattered:)

2. That looks so beautiful and what a delicious idea!! The heart shape us perfect for Valentine’s Day and it is healthful!!! Creative and so tasty!!

Thank you Suzanne!

3. Aditi Pallod says:

Sandhya, I love this so much–such a cute idea! It looks absolutely delicious and super healthy! I love how this is holiday-oriented & I’m definitely asking my mom to make it. 🙂

So glad you liked it Aditi!

4. Love the heart shaped patties..we love quinoa at home and make these with potatoes often…the spinach adds a great twist…great share Sandhya:))

Thanks Shy!

5. queensashy says:

Must say that this is a marvelous idea, I’ve made falafel with quinoa, but have never made a kebab. Just perfect…

Thank you so much. I was really happy with the taste and texture of this kebab.

Brilliant post Sandhya! I’m sure the sweet potatoes with all the yummy spices took this to another level. Love the cute heart-shaped cutlets, I love the last photo the best with the hugs and kisses. Innovative, creative and artistic that’s you my dear! xoxo Happy V-Day!

Thank you so much Loretta! Yes I really liked the taste of the sweet potatoes and quinoa together. The heart shaped mold was a loving gift from my mother in law, so it is extra special to me.
      You know, I actually had liked the last photo myself too and was going to be my cover photo. But then at the last minute….as I was rushing to finish the post, I thought maybe the other picture focuses better on the kebab:)
      Happy Valentines Day to you too. xoxo. Any special plans with your hubby?

What a perfect Valentine’s dish Sandhya and so creative. Love your pictures 🙂

Thank you so much Antonia! you are always so encouraging.

8. What a bright and colorful dish! Cookie cutters sure come in handy to make your healthy Valentine recipe 🙂

9. Wow Sandhya lovely heart shaped kebab for V-Day. Looks very yummy. Liked your last picture so tempting to pick it and have. U r a healthy mommy. Hats off to u for the choices u make to make it healthy. Happy v day dear. ❤️

10. L love this dear.. With Quinoa this s super healthy and yummy

11. Nice addition of quinoa, it made the kebab more healthy and delicious.

Thank you Rahul!

Thanks Ruchi!

12. Congratulations ! Very creative and they must taste yummy too. Will try some day.

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate and am humbled by your kind words