Easy, one pan, mouth watering, figure friendly, Indo Mexican fusion recipe!
Vindaloo is a spicy meat dish from Goa that is very popular in Indian restaurants, especially in the United States. The story behind this dish goes something like this- The Portuguese introduced the tangy Vindahlo, a recipe to preserve pork on the ships, using wine (Vino) and garlic (alhos). It was Indianized by Goan cooks, using vinegar instead of the wine and adding red chilies. So the vindaloo we know today has a spicy, tangy, delectable sauce.
I used a readymade vindaloo paste, which made this a breeze to make. I marinated the chicken with the vindaloo paste, turmeric, lime juice and salt and let it marinate in the refrigerator.
I love to cook in my cast iron pan. I feel that the flavor deepens in these amazing pans. Don’t you? Plus it gives the ‘sizzle’ effect that sizzlers and fajitas have.
These tacos are truly scrumptious! I took pictures for the blog post here just before we sat down to eat. A couple of minutes later, I realized that I should have taken a picture of the folded taco, I looked around and we had licked our plates and the pan clean 🙂
They are so easy to put together and so addictive, that I will be making them again and again.
So here is my easy recipe-
Chicken Vindaloo Tacos
- ½ pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
For the Marinade-
- 2 teaspoons vindaloo paste, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon cooking oil
- Sea salt to taste
For the sauce-
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
For the toppings-
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ½ cup roasted corn
- Thinly sliced red cabbage tossed with lime juice and salt
- Lime wedges
- Freshly toasted tortillas
To make the Chicken Vindaloo Tacos-
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade and let the chicken marinate in it for 3 hours in the refrigerator, or up to 8 hours.
- In a cast iron pan, heat the oil over medium heat, add the chopped garlic and let it sizzle and turn golden brown. Add the tomato paste and stir it well until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the marinated chicken, pressing down slightly in the pan.
- Stir well to coat it with the tomato paste.
- Add the water , cover pan and let the chicken cook. Remove cover, add the brown sugar and stir well.
- Cut up the chicken into smaller strips, using the edge of your stirring spoon. Let all the cooked chicken get coated with the sauce. Push it to one side of the pan.
- Add the onion and the corn to the other side of the pan and let all sizzle.
- Toast the tortillas. Top with the chicken and toppings.Squeeze fresh lime juice over it.
Enjoy the super yummy Chicken Vindaloo Tacos this weekend! I am going to take my tacos to Fiesta Friday, hosted by the gracious Angie and her lovely co-hosts Judi @ cookingwithauntjuju and Cynthia @ eatmunchlove