Delectable, hearty, wholesome soup made with butternut squash, red lentils, turmeric and peanut butter. A one pot meal!
It’s January! And my resolution to get back on that “eating healthy” wagon is not as easy to follow after all that party food. To add to my woes, Boston’s winter weather demands hot, hearty meals. So this is my antidote- a bowl of warm, delectable, wholesome, vegetarian, gluten free, Butternut Peanut Butter Soup!
This one pot soup is silky smooth, delectable, and packed with protein, both from the peanut butter and the masoor dal (red lentils). I topped it with yogurt and sriracha hot sauce and served the soup with homemade gluten free bread.
So still staying on to that wagon…hanging on…:)
Butternut Squash Peanut Butter Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ½ cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- ½ cup masoor dal (red lentils)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoon smooth, all natural, peanut butter
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Plain yogurt and Sriracha hot sauce for topping (optional)
To make the Butternut Squash Peanut Butter Soup-
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic and sauté until the raw smell is gone, about a minute or so.
- Add the diced celery, carrots and butternut squash and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the masoor dal (red lentils) and sauté for another minute. Add the turmeric and chili powder (if using) and sauté further for 30 seconds.
- Add the water, salt and pepper. Stir, cover the pot and let the dal and vegetables cook.
- Let the mixture cool a bit. Then add to the blender with the peanut butter and blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the sauce pan. You can a dd a little water if you feel the soup is very thick. Warm it up, stir in the lime juice and serve.
- Top with the yogurt and sriracha hot sauce, if desired. I served it with toasted gluten free bread. Yummy!
Enjoy! Happy 2018! Lets stay on that healthy eating wagon!