Easy, gluten free recipe, for super crispy, super yummy okra without the deep frying!
Bhindi also known as okra or lady finger evokes either a like or dislike kind of reaction from most people I know.
In the Indian cuisine, I have eaten it as a vegetable side dish that tasted awesome when done right. My Aai (mom) made a stir fried subji with sautéed onion and okra that I loved. But I have had some made by other cooks where the subji was so slimy that it turned me off the okra for a while 🙂 It is quite popular at some Indian restaurants in the Boston area. The okra/ bhindi is crispy but too oily for my taste.
The Air Fryer Kurkuri Bhindi will make you a fan of okra! Lightly coated with spices, besan and cornmeal, it is crispy, crunchy and so moreish! It has the flavors of stuffed bhindi minus the work 🙂 This recipe is super easy and quick to make in the air fryer and with just a teaspoon of oil!
With summer’s fresh produce now available, I find myself looking for the fresh, tender okra once again!
Here is the easy recipe.
Air Fryer Kurkuri Bhindi
- 10 fresh and tender bhindi/ okra/ lady finger, about ¼ pound
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder/ haldi
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry raw mango powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons plain yogurt/ dahi
- 2 tablespoons besan / chickpea flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon oil
To make the Air Fryer Kurkuri Bhindi-
- Wash and wipe dry the bhindi/okra. Cut them in half vertically
- In a bowl, combine the cut bhindi with the turmeric powder, garam masala, the chili powder, amchur powder and salt. Toss well to combine.
- Add the yogurt and stir to coat the bhindi. Add the besan and cornmeal and coat the bhindi all around with the mixture.
- Add the oil and stir to coat the bhindi.
- Lay the coated bhindi in the air fryer in one layer, as shown in the photo above.
- Cook the bhindi at 350 degrees in the air fryer for 15 minutes.
- Crispy, crunchy scrumptious bhindi are ready!
Note- Individual air fryer timings and temperatures will vary, so adjust according to your air fryer.